Vidalia onions are the next featured vegetable in our “What’s in Season?” series. Keep reading to learn more about this local Georgia crop.
What makes Vidalia onions special?
Did you know that an onion can only be called a Vidalia onion if it is grown in one of twenty counties in Georgia?  Here are a few more interesting facts about this homegrown favorite:
- Vidalia onions have been the official state vegetable of Georgia for over 30 years! 
- Vidalia onions have higher amounts of water and sugar than other onion varieties. They are also a good source of Vitamin C and fiber. 
- The sweet, mild flavor of these onions is what makes them so popular. 
- Vidalia onions can be enjoyed in a variety of dishes. Freshly slice them to put on a sandwich or toss them on top of a pizza with other fresh vegetables.
Harvested in Georgia
Did you know that more than 14,000 acres of land in Georgia are dedicated to growing Vidalia onions?  That is a lot of onions!
The Vidalia onion season begins in April and lasts through November.  To celebrate the season, the city of Vidalia hosts a 4-day festival complete with a parade and a cook-off!  If you are interested in finding a farm near you that sells this variety of onions, follow this link.
It is important to store Vidalia onions correctly. A cool, dry area separate from other vegetables is best.  To learn more about Vidalia onions, check out this UGA Cooperative Extension Services resource or call your local UGA Extension office.
For more information on other fresh produce to look for this season, check out our “What’s In Season in Georgia” chart.
Vidalia Onion Recipes
While all these recipes do not use Vidalia onions, we think using a sweet onion from Georgia would be a great idea with the other flavors in these dishes!
- This classic Southern Broccoli Salad recipe gives us another reason to celebrate produce grown in Georgia. When you buy Vidalia onions this year, look for locally grown broccoli, too.
- Looking for a way to include vegetables in your breakfast? This Apple and Veggie Omelet is the perfect way to do so with onions and peppers.
- Sweet onions are the perfect complement to the other vegetables in this recipe for Sheet Pan Red Potatoes and Peppers.
- Homemade Veggie Pizza is a great recipe to add whatever fresh veggies you have on hand, including a Vidalia onion when they are in season.
We hope you enjoyed learning all about Vidalia onions in this blog. Check back next month for a feature on blueberries!
Written by Darci Bell, RDN, LD | Edited by Leslie Davis, RDN, LD, CDCES, and the Nutrition Team
Posted: May 9, 2022
Photo source of Vidalia onions in a basket: Explore GeorgiaBe Creative Drink Water Focus on Health How to Cook Better Invite Your Kids Plan Ahead Save Money Shop Smarter Store Food Uncategorized